So I found an apartment. It was not the best price I could get, but it was the best apartment for the better price I was shown.
If you’ve ever done intensive apartment hunting to a tight deadline, you’ll understand that it can be a lot of hard work. Thankfully my teaching company provides its employees with an agent to take away a lot of the stress of having to deal with sorting through the chaff. Despite this though, when you’re looking for a place in a foreign country, it is tiring. After 4 hours of pounding the pavement and being squished in the subway, I was very happy to see the insides of my eyelids, even it it was on a bed too hard.
Guangzhou is huge. But it’s also very dense. Therefore the apartments are very high. The highest apartment we viewed other then the one I chose was on the 22th floor, in a 50 story building. So, elevators are fast here; I found I needed to chew gum while I was checking the apartments out.
The studio apartments are very basic, some of them don’t even have a cook-top installed. But they all have a microwave, refrigerator, and washing machine. My place seemed to have it all. Especially compared to the hassle a lot of other teachers went through. It already had internet access, cable TV, with at least one English channel, an Ikea sofa bed and, most importantly a good kitchen with a gas stove!!!! (and you know how much I loved my stove in Melbourne)
No comments:
Post a Comment